Barcelona are reportedly ready to offer Manchester City captain Ilkay Gundogan a two-year contract to join them this summer. As things stand, the Germany international is in the final few months of his contract with the Premier League champions.
So far no contract talks have begun between the player and Man City thus, he could depart on free transfer this summer. Barcelona swiftly saw Gundogan as an attractive low-cost signing to reinforce their midfield ranks.
The current La Liga leaders will need a replacement for Sergio Busquets, who could possibly depart this summer. Man City have not ruled out extending the 32-year-old’s contract while his agent said that his client’s future is uncertain.
“There’s definitely no agreement yet with any club,”
When asked about allegations of a pre-contract agreement with Barcelona, Ilhan Gundogan said, according to The Guardian.
“The focus of Ilkay in recent weeks was only on Manchester City and the birth of his son. Now he is in the final and crucial phase of the season and is completely focused on that. Where Ilkay plays next season is still open.”
According to The Sun, Man City are willing to authorise a contract extension for Gundogan. However, they are only willing to grant the midfielder a one-year agreement.
Barcelona, on the other hand, are preparing a two-year contract offer until the summer of 2025. Gundogan has assured his current club that he will make a decision on his future shortly, despite constant ties with Barcelona.
Yet, it has been reported that Gundogan’s wife is sick of living in the United Kingdom and longs for a change.
With Fernandinho’s departure last summer, Gundogan was promoted to team captain by his teammates, and the ex-Borussia Dortmund star has 54 goals and 37 assists from 291 games for Man City in all competitions.
The City captain has five goals and four assists in 38 games this season, scoring his team’s third in a 4-1 triumph over Liverpool on Saturday afternoon.
Barcelona were rumoured to be planning a move for Gundogan’s teammate Bernardo Silva, whose desire to leave Manchester City was made public by Pep Guardiola last year.
But, with Silva under contract in Manchester for another two years, the Citizens will not let him depart for less than £60 million in the forthcoming transfer window.
As a result, Barcelona’s focus has shifted to a possible free transfer for Gundogan, with the Blaugrana once again prioritising low-cost transfers given their precarious financial circumstances.
For more Sports updates please follow us on Twitter