Manchester United is said to have made an official bid for Inter Milan custodian Andre Onana.
Since the final weeks of the 2022-23 season, there has been doubt over United’s goalkeeping prospects for following season, owing largely to the issue with David de Gea.
United have suggested that the long-serving Spaniard take a significant pay reduction in order to extend his stay at Old Trafford, something he appeared to be willing to do earlier this week, according to a source.
However, it appears that United authorities have yet to make De Gea’s stay official, prompting him to take to social media on Wednesday.
Regardless of whether De Gea stays with the EFL Cup winners, head coach Erik ten Hag has stated that there are no guarantees that the 32-year-old would remain as first choice between the sticks.
United have been connected with a number of potential goalkeepers, including Brentford’s David Raya, who appears to have missed out on a move to Tottenham Hotspur.
Nonetheless, according to Italian writer Alfredo Pedulla on Twitter, United are willing to move quickly on a deal for Onana.
According to Pedulla, United have made an official proposition to Inter for a player who has just helped Inter reach the Champions League final, where they narrowly lost to Manchester City.
The Italian conglomerates are said to have replied by demanding €60 million (£51.79 million) plus add-ons in exchange for agreeing to sell one of their most valued assets.
It was reported earlier this week that Inter officials had come to England to hold talks with United, with the belief being that they are receptive to a deal.
Cameroon international Onana has just finished a successful season, keeping 19 clean sheets in 41 appearances across all competitions for Inter, who also won the Coppa Italia.
Inter do not need to sell with four years remaining on his contract, but cashing in on the 27-year-old would help I Nerrazurri strengthen in other parts of the pitch.
Club officials are presently attempting to arrange a deal with Chelsea for Romelu Lukaku, with the West Londoners only willing to a permanent transfer this summer or in 2024.
The Blues have also shown an interest in Onana, however it is uncertain whether they would be willing to satisfy Inter’s expectations given that Kepa Arrizabalaga is expected to remain as the club’s number one under Mauricio Pochettino.
For more Sports updates please follow us on Twitter