Andy Murray, who tested positive for COVID-19 a few days ago, said that he would skip the upcoming Australian Open after being unable to negotiate a “workable quarantine” with Tennis Australia.
Murray, a former world No. 1 and three-time major champion couldn’t take the chartered flight to Australia last week after testing positive for coronavirus. However, he hoped of flying to play in the first Grand Slam of the year at a later date.
Later, it turned out that it was difficult to comply with the quarantine norms in Melbourne. “Gutted to share that I won’t be flying out to Australia to compete at the Australian Open,” Murray said. “We’ve been in constant dialogue with Tennis Australia to try and find a solution which would allow some form of workable quarantine, but we couldn’t make it work.”
Andy Murray is really not happy at the development because he received a wild card for the tournament and was eager to participate. “I’m devastated not to be playing out in Australia,” he added. “It’s a country and tournament that I love.”
Murray, who is a five-time finalist at Australian Open, is also a fan-favorite. He last played in Melbourne in 2019. Media reports said that Murray was asymptomatic and in sound health.
Currently there are 72 players who are put in a “hard quarantine” in Melbourne and are directed to self-isolate in their hotel rooms for 14 days. It became mandatory because there were positive cases on three charter flights carrying the players to Australia. Those unaffected are allowed to go to the tournament grounds for five hours every day to train but otherwise must remain in their rooms for the same two-week duration.
The delayed Australian Open begins from February 8.