21.3 C
New Delhi
December 1, 2022
Tennis

Fernando Verdasco threatens French Open with legal action

Fernando Verdasco

Former world no. 7, Spaniard Fernando Verdasco mulls to take legal action against the French Open after being forced to quit the tournament following a positive COVID-19 test.

The 36-year-old tennis player had previously tested positive for the virus, asymptomatically, in August.

However, Verdasco was stopped from taking another test to confirm whether the initial one was accurate. 

Two more independent tests were then taken subsequently to the one he had to take at the French Open, which turned out negative.

“Do I want to sue Roland Garros? Yes, obviously,” he said talking to the Spanish radio station Cadena Ser. “Nobody can believe that a tournament like Roland Garros can do that. It can’t be.

“It is not a thing about money, it is a thing of damage which this does you personally and professionally.”

Verdasco said that the whole episode left a bad taste in the mouth, and he is unsure whether he wanted to get back on the court any time soon.

“I don’t know if I’m going to play again this year or not because you lose the desire for everything,” he said.

“They [French Open organisers] do things as they please, without any coherence and without any respect. The rights of the players count for nothing.”

Related posts

Djokovic surpasses Federer by staying as world No. 1 for most weeks

powersportz

Andy Murray among four players elected to ATP Player Council

powersportz

Australian Open: Serena cruises to next round while Bianca Andreescu bows out

powersportz