South Africa pulled out of their ODI series against Australia that was slated to take place in January 2023. Moreover, the hosts will now receive the three matches’ ODI Super League points.
Australia are expected to receive the points from the three games after the visitors practically conceded the series.
South Africa is now in danger of missing out on direct qualification for the 2023 World Cup in India after virtually losing the series 3-0. They had just four victories in 13 games and were already mired at No. 11 in the standings.
The top eight ODI Super League teams as of the cutoff date in May of the following year will automatically qualify for the World Cup. In a qualifying competition for the final two berths, the remaining five teams will square off against five Associate teams.
Following the launch of their new T20 league, which will start in January, the CSA had asked CA last month to postpone the series against Australia. The series was scheduled to take place after the three Test matches but now the series has been cancelled.
Cricket Australia comments on the cancelled series against South Africa
a Cricket Australia statement said.
“Given these games will not be played before the qualification cut-off date in May, CSA has agreed that Australia will be awarded the competition points pending ICC approval,”
The matches are cancelled because no window could be found in a jam-packed calendar. White-ball players like Aaron Finch, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, and Adam Zampa won’t be taken out of the BBL for a 10-day period while those who would typically play ODIs would now have increased availability. Australia’s Test stars won’t be present for the first half of the event.
In order to make up for Hobart and Perth, whose single international match of the season was scheduled to coincide with South Africa’s visit, CA has also made changes to the international calendar elsewhere.
The first T20I against England on October 9 has been changed from Perth to Brisbane, and the second men’s T20I against West Indies on October 7 will now take place at the Gabba rather than the Metricon Stadium.
The second women’s T20I versus Pakistan, which was initially slated for Canberra, will instead take place on January 26 in Hobart.
CSA’s chief comments
“It’s disappointing to have another men’s international game removed from the schedule in Tasmania, it highlights the lack of international content that the state receives,”
Dominic Baker, the Cricket Tasmania CEO, said.
“However, we are working closely with Cricket Australia on our International fixtures calendar to see what opportunities can be pursued for our Tasmanian cricket fans in order to make up for this loss.”
“We’re looking forward to having such a high calibre of female players joining us here in Hobart, giving our fans the opportunity to experience and enjoy some international cricket this summer.”
Nick Hockley, the CA chief executive, said:
“It is disappointing that Cricket South Africa will be unable to contest the ODI series in January. That said, we are delighted to be hosting South Africa for the three Test series which includes the Boxing Day and New Year’s Tests and with the comprehensive schedule of international cricket that will take place across Australia throughout the summer.”