30.8 C
New Delhi
April 21, 2021
Tennis

John Isner to give Australian Open a miss over COVID-19

John Isner, Australian Open, Roger Federer, Grand Slam, COVID-19

American tennis star John Isner will not play in the upcoming Australian Open, which is the first Grand Slam of the year. He has confirmed the news on Monday about missing the Australian Open Grand Slam citing Covid-19 pandemic.

Isner, 35, has been staying away from his family for long now. Isner said he wanted his family to travel together to “make it as much fun as possible on the road”, but added that that would be impossible this year because of the global pandemic.

John Isner lost to compatriot Sebastian Korda 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in the quarter-finals of the Delray Beach Open on Monday.

The deferred Australian Open is scheduled to be held from February 8 to 21. This is three weeks later than the original schedule of the Grand Slam.

The grand slam was earlier slated to start from January 18, however the schedule was updated last month because of the Covid-19 restrictions.

A shortened version of the ATP Cup men’s team tournament will take place in Melbourne from February 1-5 before the Australian Open begins on February 8.

Even Roger Federer has opted out of playing in the Australian Open a few days ago. He had confirmed playing in 2021’s first Grand Slam last year, but opted out because of the strict COVID restrictions.

Now, officials have said that Federer’s wife has opposed the quarantine plans in the Australian Open. The Australian Open players now brace for the world’s strictest quarantine rules.

Related posts

Sumit Nagal puts up a great fight before losing to world No.3 Thiem in US Open

Mridul

Cincinnati Masters: Daniil Medvedev, Madison Keys win respective categories

Mridul

Sumit Nagal’s fine form continues, reaches Campinas semis

Mridul